Thursday, October 16, 2008

We miss church.

Football has taken a huge toll on us this year. We signed the boys up for football last spring knowing that games were on Sunday. At that time our church was offering Wed night services and honestly I realy felt like God put the love of football in our hearts and He would make it all work out for us. I really believed it would work out so that we could attend church most Sundays. Well it turns out we have missed all but maybe 2 Sundays in the last 6 weeks and will have to miss the next 3 for sure. You can see it in our behavior towards eachother. The devil is definitely working us through busyness and it does not feel good, not one bit. The problem is this league is so much better than the leaque we played for last year... so much better and $500 per kid is a lot to spend on an activity when it isn't a good experience. So the last straw was last week when Josh's coach called about something and mentioned to me that our playoff tournament would be on Nov. 2. My heart sunk to my toes. Their last seasonal game is the week before that and I thought maybe we would get a week off before playoffs start. I have been very faith filled that God will make this work out. So back to the reason why my heart dropped to my toes... November 2nd is Josh's first communion. During this football season we have gotten up to leave for Luke's games by 7ish to finish with Josh's games by 3:30ish, to rush home shower up and get Josh to first communion classes at 5 and Luke to confirmation at 6.... without one, not one, complaint from them about not wanting to go because they were tired from football.

So I ask God, how are we supposed to choose between playoffs and first communion? How? Subsequently we found out that Luke's playoff tournament is the same day so now we pretty much have no chance of the first game starting after 11 so we could do both. Plus even if we did that, the focus on this wonderful, monumental occasion will be squished out by playoff games.

I ended up talking to our pastor and we are going to put his first communion off until after the holidays and then we can give him the celebration he deserves for this special occasion.

Then our pastor asks me if the church started a Saturday night service would we attend. Oh my goodness.... is this possibly an answered prayer? Remember to the beginning where I was very faithful in believing God would make this season work out for us? When I found out about Nov 2nd, it was like a big neon sign saying God's plans are not always your plans. Maybe God doesn't want us with this league afterall and this season was that answer. So we decided next year we would just ... suck it up and play for the other league again and just make the best of it... until pastor asked about Saturday nights. It is all still in the planning, but I am back to being faith-filled that God's plans will be made known and I am going to try harder to wait and not worry.

Still pretty bummed about Josh's first communion, but that is the way it goes. So it looks like we will be spending our 17th anniversary in Fontana watching our two wonderful boys play football all day long. How much better can it get?

1 comment:

Conne Pursley said...

Wow-God had a plan all along. My eyes tear up reading this--I'm so blessed to hear how your family is serving the Lord. Why have we not kept in touch over the years? I love you my dear cousin!