Monday, January 26, 2009

Remembering Karon



My sister would have been 37 today. We were less than 14 months apart and she was 11 months older than my brother and we did not have enough time with her. She died when I was 17 and she had just turned 16. I don't know why God took her so young, but I have given up wondering. I certainly don't think anything good has come from it, I haven't seen anything that might tell me she saved someone else or anything like that. But I am okay to wait until my day in Heaven to find out.

I still cry and feel her absence regularly, I have pictures of her around my house. My kids know her even though they were far from being born. They know she played soccer and was really good, was well liked by many different kids....jocks, curbies, stoners, nerds. They know her funeral was gigantic, with 100 +/- cars (according to the police officers) and around 300 people. They have visited her grave with my mom and I. They watched us polish her head stone and trim the grass around it and then asked if they could polish some head stones of people who looked like they didn't have any visitors anymore. They know there is a head stone near hers that reads "Just another crummy day", it made us laugh when we saw it on the day of her funeral. They know she overdosed on her ADD medication, they know she experimented with illegal drugs. They know she was loved by me more than I can ever express to them, they know I miss her terribly.

Happy 37th Birthday sis. I wish I could have you in my life, in my family's life, I wish you had a family I could be an auntie and a sister-in-law to. I would have been a good one, I swear I would have. I miss you Karon, I miss you so much.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Praying for you and your family Marlayna! Karon sounded like such a sweet girl.

Sandra said...

what sweet pix of you and your sister. :bighug

Theresa said...

All my heart goes to you right now. My sisters birthday was last Friday and every year there is that ache...and I know twice for you. Hugs to you Marlayna!!