Monday, January 19, 2009

I need some help.

Yesterday in church there was a scripture reading on Sunday that sparked a conversation for John and I...
Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he
who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know
that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have
from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price;
therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. 1 cor
6:18-20

It got us to thinking, not so much about sexual immorality but how we do not take care of our bodies physically... with exercise and diet. It was just so amazing that we both got this same message from this scripture and were able to have a conversation about it. So we left the kids for Sunday School, came home and changed our clothes and went on a walk and had a nice talk. And this is where I need your help...

I can't find anything on the internet about it, but at some point in my studies I thought I read or talked with someone about.... God being first in our lives and then it should be our spouse and then our children and then "ourselves" falls in there somewhere too I think. Am I remembering that right? John reads in to that as it meaning we should love our spouse more than our children and I said no, that is not what that means, it means that we should make time for eachother because if we aren't together as one with God then our children will not be raised up right... I can't find that passage either. ARG! Anyway, John is growing, we both are, but if I am remembering this right, I need help with this conversation with him. I admire that our family means so much to him and that he values it so deeply and I would never want that to change, but I want our relationship to grow in Christ, I want us to radiate with God's love. Thanks fo any help you can give with this.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Wow - thats a good question. I dont know if thats even in the bible, but I will do some research. The only thing I can think of is when Jesus says "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. (Luke 14:26). But other than that, I cant think of where it specifically lists the "order". But I know it says God has to come first. (Let God be true and every man a liar, the story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac, and such like those).

Here's what the pastor who married us told us when we got married - because I already had a son. He drew a circle and said that is the two of us, and then a circle around "us" and said the kids are there, and then told us that God is the circle surrounding us all.

Hmm, I think I'm gonna have this conversation with hubby tonight. Let me know if you find any scripture about it.

Theresa said...

Marlayna-

The one that sticks in my head as far as love of God is Luke 10:27

And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

I know it doesn't mention love your husband...but just neighbor...I will do some more diggsing.

Theresa

Anonymous said...

I am commenting on the scripture that Theresa posted.

When the Lord says "love thy neighbor as thy self", well, who is your closest neighbor? Your spouse. So the answer to that question , is yes it is your spouse. You are to put God first, then your spouse, then your children. It is like a triangle, God is on the top, and you and John are at the bottom on each side of the triangle.

Conne Pursley said...

Mars-
Great processing. Your friends have great scriptures for you to access. Dan and I have read many books with a strong biblical foundation on marriage and some of them are "Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas and then "Love and Respect".
I guess the only thing I'd like to add (not that I have it all together) is you made the committment to John before you had your kids. If you don't spend time loving him like you spend time loving your kids, what's going to happen when they move out ans start their own families? There won't be much left. Obviously, God would come first, because the purpose of marriage is not for us to be "happy" but to better serve God. Now, who do we get the strength to do that from--God.
Love you...C