Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Finding myself surprised... in me.

I have been completely drawn, almost glued to the TV since yesterday morning. I did not vote for our new president and have some real concerns. But the inaugeration was really great to watch, to see the country all come together in this show of support that we haven't had, to see the previous presidents and first ladies, their families, the outfits, the smiles. And I was even happy to see the human side of this man.

One of my concerns about this president is that the people who supported him seemed to see him as a savior... that he will solve all of our problems and won't make any mistakes. So in this, it makes me wonder if all of these people really believe he is perfect and if they do they must not understand that only God is perfect. I was so disappointed to see that Obama and his wife did not mouth the Lord's Prayer with Rick Warren in the opening prayer yesterday, it made me wonder if he will seek the path that God has for him and our Country. And it scared me to think that maybe he wouldn't.

Anyway, so back to him being human... he stumbled over his oath yesterday and it warmed my heart... not sour grapes warmed my heart, but made me see him in a different light. And this morning in a press conference he made his speech and then said something like, okay now what do I do? Do I sit? And Joe Biden asked, do I just stand here? And can I have the paper to read the oath? And then the president said he wanted to shake his senior staffs' hands and started to make his way down and then decided, no that isn't a good idea you come to me, it will be easier. It was just so... un-planned out, not rehearsed, not planned. It was so nice to see the smiles and laughter about the learning curve, the human-ness of him and I am finding him likeable. I still have my concerns about his agenda, but at least now I feel like I can stomach to look at him and listen to him and be hopeful in a better future for America. I am thankful for that. I am thankful that after the election I said to myself that I will trust God's plan for our future and maybe things will be better and if not, that I know God will be there for us all. I will watch President Obama hopefully, try not to be judgmental of him personally and pray for him and the decisions he has to make, that they will be in line with the plans God has for us all.

1 comment:

Beth in NC said...

You sound like me. Before, I couldn't even stomach looking at him. I will pray for him because God calls us to do that ...

I do pray that all of this will turn around for God's glory!

Beth