Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where was God on 9/11/2001?


I found this somewhere else on the internet, written a year ago...



Not long after the horrific events that occurred six years ago today, I heard several people ask, "Where was God on 9/11?" The best answer to that question came from a young woman who lived in New York City. I don't remember what the woman looked like, her age or what she wore. But what I do remember is what she said. She said that God was right there on 9/11. He was climbing 80 flights of stairs rescuing people from the towers; he was digging through the burning rubble trying to find survivors. He was comforting those that staggered through the smoke and dust looking for friends and co-workers. As this woman pointed out, God didn't desert this country on 9/11. The spirit of God was working in and through so many people. It was love in action on a scale that this country had not seen in many years. All I can say is, "Amen, sister."


IMG_2614a IMG_2626a
My children's school had an assembly this morning where the principal explained the events of 09/11/2001 and the theme was HEROS. Some of the classes sang songs or recited poems. He asked military, fire, law enforcement personnel to come up and light candles and we observed a moment of silence to the song Taps. It was so moving.



Where were you and what were you doing the morning of this terrible tragedy?

It was early here, in California, I had just gotten up. My oldest had just started Kindergarten about 3 weeks earlier and I remember I didn't even want him to go to school. I had just, a week earlier, found out I was pregnant with our last child. It seemed so strange today when the principal said "some of you were not even born yet."

I am sure we all remember like yesterday the pain we felt in our hearts for the people in NY, PA and at the Pentagon. God was with us, God is always with us. Evil did this, God didn't let it happen... He just gives us the strength get through it.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

I was finishing up my last year of college and I remember my husband coming upstairs and waking me up before he left for work. He would always watch the early morning news. I remember spending the rest of the morning glued to the TV. A girl from my high school upith group was on one of the planes so it really hit home!

Marlayna said...

WOW Kendra. I didn't know that you knew someone who died on that awful day. xoxo

Liz said...

I was changing my baby's diaper (he is now 8). My husband came running down the hall and told me we were under attack. Wow, I am getting choked up writing this. I heard a preacher say in the days soon after that this didn't surprise God. I don't know why that stuck with me. He knew this was going to happen. He was ready for us to cry out to Him. Evil happens in this world. He does not prevent all things - we'll never know why. I do remember an eerie feeling in those days after that there was something spiritual happening in the world. Thanks for your post on this.

Hill upon Hill said...

Yes I thought of that day on the
11th. A hard anniversary....