Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mean Girls...

There is a topic that has been on my mind for about a month. I have 2 boys and a little girl who is going in to 1st grade and over the last year has started to experience how mean girls can be. I never really experienced it with boys. I have felt so bad for her and not really knowing how to deal with it. One night I got an email newsletter from a christian book store and the title of a book called "Mean" caught my attention. So I went and bought it. I am not really the type of person to lead a bible study, but this has been weighing on my mind so much. I have asked several people who I believe to be good leaders and would be good leading a bible study for teenage girls and no one has accepted.

I went with John to take the boys to football practice tonight and on a side note... praise the Lord for a gorgeous evening, so unlike So Cal for summer. Anyway, I read the first chapter of this bible study hoping I would hear or feel some answers from God as to whether I should lead this bible study. What a beautiful setting, out in the park on a cool breezy summer evening, reading a bible study. I have no clear answers as to whether I should lead this bible study yet, just a desire to do it. I have put this time table on myself that I want this bible study to start after Labor Day, with the start of a new season. But I realized yesterday that I should be on God's time table, not my own. So I am just waiting.... just as God asks us to do so often.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I've noticed this in little girls - even in kindergarten. I have boys, but I have overheard moms talking with their little girls, comforting them about another girl ridiculing their hair, clothes, teeth, etc. I wonder if they have a tendency for that (that can be overcome!), or if they learn that from our "wonderful" (sarcasm) society (TV, movies, etc). It think its a great idea for a bible study - the younger the better. (Better to learn something right, than to learn it wrong, have to UNLEARN it and relearn it right!) God has called us to be different from the world - and its great for the girls to have someone to teach them the Godly attitude as well as the practical application of that in their lives! My best to you!!!

Anonymous said...

I have two boys and a girl, and I have said many times that boys are much easier to raise than girls for that very reason. My daughter and I had some very turbulent moments over the years but she is all grown up now with a family of her own and we are not only mother/daughter but best friends and sisters in the Lord. If you feel led to pursue a bible study, commit it to prayer and wait on the Lord. Don't give up if it doesn't happen on your timing but wait on Him who sees the "big picture". Our girls need clear instruction from Godly women. May the Lord bless you.

Hill upon Hill said...

Yes. I dread this happening with our girls. I have always thought though that knowing they have a warm, loving home to come home too and a strong, loving God to hold them is really helpful. Thankyou for your kindness and your visit. I really felt better today knowing there were people out there who knew exactly how we were feeling today. Such a short illness, I really feel for people who face this for much longer periods of time or have real worries.