Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It takes a Village...

Ya know the old saying, it takes a village to raise a child! I think that is especially true in a church family. What I mean is the people at your church who are your church family.

Our church has gone through a huge hit. We lost a very popular pastor several years ago, got an interim that was highly loved, got our new pastor 2 years ago and .... well, he has struggled, though I really believe it is turning around. And not to say it is his fault. We have lost many, many families. In this time John and I have become much more active in church. My latest thing is being 1 of 4 members of a youth action team (YAT). It has been a hard road. There has been no youth group to speak of for... as long as I can remember. I think as a church family we are the village. It takes us all to love and care for the children of our congregation. We have hired an out of work pastor to work with us part time and we have had some discouraging times. Why won't the kids come? I think I know the answer, they aren't used to having things for kids at church... I keep saying we have to be consistent and persistent.... build it and they will come. Right? Oh I pray so, because I want this for my children and the others in our church family.

This weekend we are having a car wash fundraiser to pay for tickets for the youth to go to Soak City, a local water park. I just hope it isn't only my kids and the kids of the other 3 members of YAT.

God keeps pulling me in the direction of youth leadership. And so when I am frustrated He won't let me fall away. I still feel this pull towards planning events and bible studies and youth meetings. This to me is proof I am doing His work.

How are your youth groups? We recently decided we were fighting a losing battle with elementary youth group. The pastor's grandson, my kids and a few others were the only to come and all the kids went because the parents were committed to growth. But no new kids. Does your church have an elementary youth group? We decided to plan monthly activities with those kids and not regularly scheduled weekly youth meetings (get togethers). I would love to hear about the youth group at your church.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Marlayna - (by the way,that's a pretty way to spell your name!) It's awesome that you feel called to the youth of the church. Its needed badly. While I am not involved in our church youth group, I'd like to encourage you in a couple of areas. Do not worry about the number of kids that attend. What's most important is that you stay true to the Word of God. Maybe that means your group will be small. But that's better than attracting a huge crowd of kids with a youth group that doesn't have a lot of substance. Which leads me to my second point. So many churches these days try to make being a Christian "cool" to the teens. Like we're afraid that nobody will come to Jesus if we don't take it upon ourselves to make Him look attractive. Many churches in our area have concerts with bands that are not believers - for the sake of attracting teens. But if they come because of the music, or games, or activities - are they really coming to Jesus in a true and profound way that will cause them to have a commitment that they hold on to come hell or high water? I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with fun in a youth group - but that should be second to teaching them an uncompromisable walk with God. With that all said, I think its OK to have activities and fun, but make sure that the foundation is to teach them the word of God. that might mean that most kids go down the street to a "funner" church - but it also means that the teens you raise will not toss their beliefs aside when they go off to college or to the workplace. We are not just here to protect them and keep them involved in activities - we are mostly here to equip them to go into the world amidst the temptations and still hold on to God. I wish you the best and hope that God leads you loud and clear as you do this! It is a gift to feel led to teach teens - they're scary! ha ha!

Marlayna said...

Thanks Liz. I couldn't agree more. We are a completely Bible-bound, teach through the word type of group. We do plan fun things but we always include faith based activities. We found these clowns called Christian clowns that we plan to try to hire for one event, a christian bands for others. Thankfully the 3 other people in our committee feel as you and I do. But we do feel that the extra curricular activities we do and teach, we want the kids to get soemthing from it that they can take and apply out in their every day lives. Like I am feeling called to lead a bible study for middle and high school girls called... Mean Girls. Basically a 6 week bible study on this subject to teach girls about kindness and how to deal with mean girls. The next one I want to do is Hotness. What it says about you to dress provocatively.

Anyway, thanks so much for your words of encouragement and your thoughts. They are important. :)

Julie said...

Hi :) Thanks for your comment on my blog. I had just been thinking last night...the same thing about old-fashioned summers. I had decided that after church today I would re-title and edit my post. And thats when I logged on and saw your comment!

Vansmom said...

Thank you for your comment. I could not read your latest entry without commenting. We have had similar things happen at our church, even before I was a member. Praise God that he is in the buisness of restoring!

Our VBS just finished last week. In the beginning of the school year, we maybe had 10 kids on Wednesday night Kid's Club. We had over 50 kids at VBS. Praise the Lord! What a blessing!

Kendra said...

Just keep praying for the youth group and the kids! I know that you do already :o) When I led a Young Life group our numbers were always small and I felt like it was my fault. But continue to be faithful and God will move in your youth group...whether it is 5 kids or 50! I know our church is always talking about getting more kids to youth group too. When kids get excited about Christ they really make the ministry their own and will bring their friends. I'm glad that you're a part of it. I am excited to get involved in the youth group as my kids get older. It's fun helping in the children's program, but I love jr. high/high school age group!!