Monday, July 28, 2008

Kids Time!

I am so excited and it is too late to call anyone... A couple of weeks ago our church's youth task force, which I am on, decided to do a youth church service between our two church services once a month. We have an 8:00 traditional service, 9:30 is Sunday School and then a 10:45 praise service. So once a month this service would take the place of Sunday School, which will probably be a huge relief to the teachers. Anyway, I started with the Sunday School superintendent to make sure she was okay with it and she was. WOOHOO Battle #1 won. My struggle right now is that I don't feel like I have the support of our senior pastor. He says he supports us, but he doesn't really help us to overcome the obsticles. And our youth leader, he isn't in support of this idea right now. He thinks it is too soon. But everything that I am feeling... reactions from parents in the church, the SS Super, and now.... tonight I talked to a man in our church who is great with music, has elementary age girls. Not only did he say he would handle the music but he sounds excited about it. He said "we should get kids who play instruments involved because if they are involved in big things like this they become more invested in church." OH MY GOODNESS! He wants to just take the music part of this church service and run with it. WOOHOO Find out what music the bigger kids like, he wasn't turned off when I told him this service would be for all the kids of the church, not just the big or little kids. Battle #2 won. Our next potential set back right now is that because we cannot use the sanctuary for this service we only have one other option, the fellowship hall... but there are 2 bible studies in there at the time we need it so we would have to ask them to relocate once a month. Pray for this for us. I am going to try to get it resolved tomorrow. If I can get this problem solved we are on for our first "KIDS TIME" youth church service on September 14. The next thing to do is to choose a skit and recruit some kids to perform it at that service. We plan to do music, offering, youth announcements, our normal youth opening (which usually happens once a month with the SS super celebrating b'days and awards, etc), prayer requests and then rotate each month between a kids sermon, skit, guest speaker (like Christian Clowns or a youth Christian comedian). I feel like God is telling me "Marlayna it is time for this, your church is ready for this, don't let the Devil tell you otherwise."

Sorry I rambled so much! I just am so excited that any of the hurdles I have faced so far have not been too high to jump. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Kendra said...

How exciting! Our new Children's Pastor just started a saturday night service for 2-5th grade with worship and everything. Our Jr. High/High school group has had worship over the past few months and they are going to start having a student led worship team in the next few weeks. It's so exciting to see kids getting involved in serving!