Thursday, November 13, 2008

Christmas from the kids

This idea has been working in my heart for about the last 3 years or so, but Josh and Courtney seemed too small to really participate, maybe I let the busyness of the holidays quash it for me, but no matter, this year we are doing it.

First I told the kids my idea. I want each of them to buy a gift for one of their siblings for Christmas and it won't be something that I pay for and it won't be something that I buy and say here pick out which of these you want to give. They liked the idea. So we drew names about a month ago. They decided that they didn't want to keep it a secret from each other, the sibling that they chose that is. So Luke is buying for Josh, Josh is buying for Courtney and Courntey is buying for Luke. Hmmmm I just realized that is oldest to youngest, right down the line and then back up again.

Anyway, then the thought was, how are you going to pay for your siblings gift? Luke and Josh said they already have money and Courtney was feeling pretty sad that she only had $7 save up and Luke was feeling pretty bad about that too. LOL They all started talking about what they wanted, giving eachother ideas and Courtney told Josh she wanted $20 so she could buy Luke a gift. LOL I told her I would help her pay for Luke's gift. But then my beautiful sweet little girl said to me, Mom I want to save recyclables to pay for Luke's gift. I couldn't believe my ears, what a sweet thing to come up with. So we have all been saving water bottles, cans, newspapers and at the end of the month we are going to take her recycleables down and she will collect her cash to pay for Luke's gift.

They have talked about this regularly, still sharing ideas, talking about when we would go shopping, wrapping the gifts, etc. And they all agree that this was the best idea I have ever come up with and why haven't we done this sooner?

I love my children, they are wonderful God-loving little people and I couldn't be more proud to have them to call mine.

No comments: